Sunday, March 31, 2019

Birthday card/junk journal

My friend had a birthday in early March and I had this vintage birthday card picked out to alter and give to her, but thought I'd try something a little more interesting. So, I took some book pages, some vintage, some not and made a small junk journal for her.
I used some marbled paper from a class I took at the local art center for the cover. I couldn't bear covering it up, so I left it alone:
 I had wanted to sew the pages together, but wasn't exactly sure how. I ended up taking some pages from a larger book, folding them in half and sewing them together and then attaching the other book pages with double stick tape. I really wanted to use those pages and not the larger ones for the backgrounds.
Here's the first spread:
You can see the front of the vintage birthday card on the second page. The off-white parts are flocked.
 I added a scrap of decorative paper on the first page:
 Here's the second layout:
 I put the rest of the birthday card on the third page, with a few memo sheets on the fourth page.
The third layout:
 I put some to-do lists on the fifth page.
Here's the fifth page without the lists:
 I added a quote paper underneath the lists.
I made a couple pockets on the sixth page, they held the scraps of the marbled paper and some tags.
 The fourth layout:
 I put some sticky notes on the seventh page with a coloring postcard and a strip of washi on the eighth page.
The fifth layout:
 I added some epoxy stickers on the ninth page and a pocket made from the corner of an envelope on the tenth page. I filled the pocket with some printed acetate.
 This is the front of a card on the ninth page.
And here's the back cover of the marbled paper:
 Here's all the stuff I included:
The other three pages of the card, scraps of marbled paper, vintagey looking tags, memo sheets, to do lists, sticky notes and printed acetate.
My friend was very pleased to get it.

No comments: