Sunday, May 22, 2011

Butterfly Fairy

OK, last post (don't get used to this many posts).
I started this project when I was doing my Gypsy ATCs, she became a piece of her own. I started out creating the dress by cutting out a dress, and then painting the top with Pearl Ex Turquoise powder mixed with mod podge so it wouldn't rub off. I added the blue filmy fabric for her dress, and then the blue ribbon around the waist and the black gems from the collage packet. The head was also from the packet and once I added that she was too big for an ATC, so I just continued making her, just to see where she went. The butterfly wings are from a butterfly stamp that I cut in half and then colored with chalk. Her hair is yarn I received from my friend, Loretta. She is mounted on a chipboard tag covered with purple mulberry paper. On the tag is a row of blue German scrap stars, and a blue edging piece layered with the same blue ribbon as her dress and some black 'pearls' to tie into the dress.
She ended up without arms or legs because nothing looked good. Now, I'm not sure what to do with her.

Any ideas?

Showing my art

Yesterday, I had some of my art pieces on display at the library. I don't have a picture of the whole table, but I do have pictures of parts of the table in succession.
This first one shows some embroidery pieces on the right, they are both in process. I think the dragon piece is done, but I don't know what to do with it. The bag still needs some decorative work done on it. Next you can see the ATCs I've kept for myself, the Outside of the Box challenge is propped up on a piece done with the Serendipity technique.
And moving right along to the left, there are more ATCs, on the top you can see a tile I decorated, 3 altered metal boxes, a framed tile made with UTEE, a frame that illustrates a William Wordsworth poem I did in high school. You can also see the bottle from the previous post and the fairy that will be in the next post.

And finishing up here, you can see a couple altered books (one done by my mother for a birthday), and the piece that won me the Hall of Fame fibers award at my senior art show in high school, a purple rosette to take to state at the county fair, and a blue ribbon at state fair (not that I'm bragging or anything). There's also business cards in the foreground. And in the background, you can see a tiny bit of a blue altered board book I was working on.

I'll see if I can find close-ups on some of these pieces in the coming days.

I showed all of this for 5 hours at the library, people could just come in and look at things as they pleased. I was part of a program called Celebrating Lifelong Creativity, along with a group that put together airplanes, a watercolor artist, a group that wrote pieces, a local senior services group, a knitting group and a paper cutting artist.

Gypsy ATCs

For April in my CollageATCs group, the theme was gypsy. I had a horribly hard time with this theme. Finally I looked through the clip art on my computer and found some images that were supposed to be gypsies anyway, so I printed them out and added to them.
Starting on the top left I added purple mulberry paper and then covered it in glitter, the piece from the package is the trim on the right side. For the girl in the middle, I colored her dress and the pieces from the package are the brown sequins and the black gems in the middle of them. For the lady on the right, I cut her out, added her to a background and then colored here with chalk and added the pink beads, feather and gems all from the package. For the lady on the bottom, I cut her out, glued her to a piece of mulberry paper, colored her with chalk and added the red gems and red flower from the packet.
I think they turned out pretty good.

Altered Bottle

First let me warn you, I'm going to have at least 3 posts on here soon, I have 3 different things to post and since I am so bad at arranging pictures, I figured it was easier to do them separately.
So, first things first, this is about the close-up picture I posted the other day.
It started out as a plain brown bottle measuring 7.5 " tall by 3" wide by 2" deep. It looked like this:
Then I decided to apply dictionary pages to it:

And it sat covered in paper for a couple months.

Next I painted it with a watered down moss green acrylic paint, and brushed Pearl Ex turqouise powder over the top and sealed it with Mod Podge. I then hot glued crushed shells to the top around the lip of it. Next I hot glued a piece of lace around it and added a couple buttons.

Here's what it looks like now:

And the back:

It looks more blue in the pictures, in real life it looks more aqua colored.

Friday, May 20, 2011


Just a sneak peak of something I finished today that I REALLY like.
Unfortunately I have to go to work now, so I'll put the pictures of the whole thing up later along with my Gypsy ATCs.

Stay tuned!