Sunday, December 17, 2017

Retirement gift

I bought a mystery box from Hollar in October and received a plastic 'photo collage' frame:
 See it, in the upper right hand corner.
I didn't know what I was going to do with it. I originally was going to take it to work and leave it on our 'free' table.
One of my supervisors is retiring at the end of December, so I took that photo frame and created something for her:
 I covered the frame with some washi that looks like dictionary pages. I covered the background with some polka dot paper. I started with the horizontal frame in the lower left corner. The teacup paper is actually from my day by day calendar. I put the glass back in and attached the Mary Engelbreit stickers to the outside of the frame.
The next frame I did was the other horizontal one. I got this journaling card in a swap, it originally said 'rad', but every time I saw it, I thought it said Read for some reason, so I fixed it with an 'e' sticker. I wanted to add a miniature book to the outside of the glass, but the ones I have were too big for the space. I finally found the lady reading to the kid on the paper in the lower right corner frame.
I bought this paper of pictures of book spines at a garage sale. I bought two sheets, I had used part of one for my director's birthday card, and picked another part for this frame. I layered the 'library' definition from an actual dictionary on some yellow paper and then affixed it to the outside of the frame.
The last vertical frame was the hardest. I wanted to customize it more to her liking, but I admit, outside of the library, I really don't know much about her. I also wanted to do something with 'retirement' in mind. I found this journaling card in my stash, I love the sentiment on it. I added the ticket to the outside of the frame as well.
Here's a close-up of the sides of the frame:
I got this book washi in a swap, the frames in some spots were thicker than the height of the washi, so I added some rose gold washi. There's this tiny square cut-out in the middle of the frame that I also added the book washi too with a tweezers. I knew I didn't have to do it, but I thought it would be a nice touch.

No comments: