Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Year Round Holiday Tags, Part I

I signed up to do a swap where we had to make 9 holiday tags for holidays throughout the year.
Here's what I made.  Sadly, the other picture I took of all my tags is blurry, so you'll have to settle for this one where they're not quite done and I'm short one:
But, I have close-ups. I have a paper pad from Hobby Lobby that has basically papers for all the seasons for the year, so I took some cardstock and covered each of my tags with a paper from that stack for the background.
New Year's:
 I used a black piece with white spots for this one. My first thought was to add the trim to the bottom (it's from Spellbinders), it's on some New Year's washi, which you can't really see. I also wanted a bottle and cork popping out from it. I had the cork button (from Hobby Lobby) and drew my own bottle on some green cardstock. I added some silver glitter glue to make it look like it was frothing and some pink jewels for the trail of the cork.
Valentine's Day:
 The background on this one is just a bunch of hearts. I originally wanted some kind of trim and something dangly on each tag, but didn't have a ton of trim that went with each holiday. This one has some heart lace and pink trim hanging off of it. The big purple heart piece I got in a swap, I added the pink heart ephemera and the blue glittery foam heart to it.
St. Patrick's Day:
 This one has clovers for the background. I added some shiny tape to the bottom and gold jewels to look like gold pieces. The glittery shamrock is from a swap, I added the 'Happy St. Patrick's Day!' rosette (from Micheal's) on top of it.
Mardi Gras:
 I had a wicked hard time with this one. I don't do much with Mardi Gras, and don't have anything that symbolizes it. I went with green, yellow and purple stripes of paper for the background. All I could think of was to make some dots with my glitter glue to look like the necklaces you get. I found some Mardi Gras necklaces at the Dollar Tree, and bought those, I cut them up and added them to the bottom. I also made the mask at the bottom by drawing one and covering it with foil. I blacked out the eyeholes with a pen. The one on the top is from the necklace packaging. I think it's cute, but not my best work.
Easter:
 This one has zigzags as the background. I added the pom pom trim (Micheal's) and some bright pink seam binding (swap) with some die cut bunnies and eggs (swap). I cut the 'easter' bunny from some paper (garage sale) and added the two bunnies in egg stickers (my stash) on top. I also added a bit of fuzz to the bunny's tale.
July 4th:
 This one has 'firework' paper as the background. I added some red, white and blue washi (Hobby Lobby) to the bottom. I layered a pinwheel sticker (swap) and a firework die cut (swap) on top.
Halloween:
 The background here is purple with spots. I added the kitten and pumpkins from a day by day calendar. There is some Halloween banner washi (swap) on the bottom with a dimensional sticker (swap). I also added the shaker ghost sticker (Walmart) and the foam bat sticker (Walmart) with some red googly eyes (swap) to it.
Thanksgiving:
 This background kinda reminds me of feathers. I added some fallish washi (Hobby Lobby) to the bottom with a felt turkey sticker (my stash) and some clay leaves (my stash) to the top.
And Christmas:
This background is plaid. I layered the word die cut (swap) on some green paper. I put some candy cane ribbon (swap) with some Christmas lights (my stash) to the bottom. I also added some puffy star stickers to the top of the tree.

One of the requirements of this swap was to have 3 embellishments. I understand why there are requirements like that, but I really stressed out making sure I had three for each tag. My work is more flat nowadays and I don't like those kind of requirements. I do like how most of my tags turned out. The Mardi Gras one really stumped me, and I think the Easter one is a bit flat. I'm excited to see what my partner creates for me.

No comments: