Sunday, September 29, 2019

Book box

I created a "book" box for a geeky group. I wanted to make more of a Harry Potter theme, but he was very elusive now that I was looking for him, so I went another direction. My recipient likes Harry Potter especially Ravenclaw, teal and purple combos and vintage.
Front:
 I had gotten a Harry Potter spell book for a granted wish of Harry Potter ephemera. It didn't actually work for my box, but I did rip out a couple of the pages for backgrounds. The purple pages are from this book. I added a piece of random book page because the piece just needed something between it and the background. This focus piece was originally a necklace I picked up at a thrift store. It was purple and white acrylic stones. I don't have paint, so I colored it with teal pigment stamping ink and sealed it with mod podge. The background paper was a bit too small to cover the whole front, so I added some teal glitter washi to it.
Inside:
 She also liked baking, so I added the macaron paper to the inside. I also added some vintage trim to the left side and an applique. I added a purple butterfly and some teal paper flowers to tie in the purple and teal theme. I also added vintage purple seam binding.
Box:
 This was an update after I had taken the above photo. I had received a Ravenclaw crest postcard. I thought it was going to be a thinner material and had planned to put it on the front, but it arrived a bit too late. I cut it down and put it in the box, to tie in the Harry Potter theme inside.
Back:
 I covered the back with the same paper from the front and the teal washi. I added an image of Harry Potter from some stationery I was sent.
Spine:
The Ravenclaw colors are navy and bronze. Bronze is hard to find, but I found these gem stickers at Hobby Lobby and thought they'd be perfect. The blue is a piece of fabric, as the stickers didn't quite cover the whole spine, I wish it was more navy. I also added a Harry Potter charm that I took off of a bookmark I was sent.
I REALLY LOVE how this turned out. I hope my partner does, too.

No comments: